Thursday, April 18, 2013

TODAY WAS A FAIRY TALE

Chelsea Dawn and I met a while back after she hired me to design a boudoir logo for her, as well as help her rebrand the rest of her photography and make-up business a bit. As all good designers do, I checked out her facebook and web page to get a feel for her style, and I immediately fell in love! Every one of her photos glows with light and natural beauty, something I have always been drawn to in photography.


| Her new branding |

Here is a little bit about the wonderful Chelsea Dawn


Hi! I'm Chelsea! I consider myself a dreamer and a thrill seeker. I adore travelling and spontaneous adventures near or far. I like to drink hot water, which most people think is super weird, but it's actually really good! I love all things creative; they make me extra happy! I'd say I am a lighthearted, goofy kind of girl. It's lovely  I grew up in Alberta but Vancouver Island is now home and I couldn't be happier! I am in love with musicals, creme-brulee & this lovely life of mine. 



1. What made you want to be a photographer? 
Growing up, I spent many days after school with friends doing what we thought were really fabulous photo shoots. I was in front of the camera as much as I was the one taking photos but it was always a ton of fun. As I got older, I was found capturing every moment of my travels around the world but even at that point, photography was still never something I considered as anything more than a hobby. The opportunity for photography as a career truly just fell into my lap a few years ago, but I am so glad it did.
2. What is your favorite thing about being a photographer? 
I love many things about being a photographer. Photographing women & reminding them of just how beautiful they are is extremely rewarding. I also love how I get so warmly welcomed into the lives of those I meet & my clients often become my friends. Being trusted to document some of the most memorable times of their life warms my heart. It's just delightful.
3. What is your favorite thing to shoot? 
My favourite thing to shoot... I'd have to say beauty portraits. I see beauty in everybody I meet but I know we don't always see the beauty in ourselves. I feel pretty strongly about helping woman recognize that they are in fact seriously gorgeous, at all stages in life. Give me a senior in high school, an expectant mama or a woman whose celebrating her 60th birthday & I will be thrilled to photograph them, capturing images that I know will make them smile and feel truly beautiful. I also really adore photographing couples in love and if I can, I adore stylizing a photo session!
4. What is your favorite photo shoot to date?
One of my favourite shoots to date (that's right- I can't choose just ONE) took place earlier this year on a really foggy day in Qualicum Beach. I was working with a fabulous girl named Teresa from Victoria. She basically brought over her entire closet, we tossed it on my couch and I sifted through everything looking for inspiration. I found a few key articles and I had a makeup plan, a hair plan and we were off! I love the way it came together. Images from that session can be found on my blog here: http://www.chelseadawn.ca/blog/index.php/teresa-beauty-portrait-session/
5. What made you want to do make-up as well? 
Deciding I wanted to do make-up as a career was a long time in the making. It took me until I was 21 to decide. You see, firstly I wanted to be a teacher, then dreamt of broadway, then I thought it would be super cool to be a famous singer so I started a band called 'La Mocha' in Grade 7 with my best friend (that lasted about two weeks) then I dreamt of being a marine biologist and then an aesthetician as I loved spas & makeup. After all that growing and changing and pondering life, I decided to enroll in the makeup artistry program at John Casablancas Institute in Vancouver in 2009. It was a crazy, adventure filled, year long program that covered everything from beauty to gory special FX and monster makeup! It was the greatest experience and when I came back to the island- I set out to be a successful freelance makeup artist. That was it! Little did I know I was in for more than that alone... 
6. What came first, make-up or photography? 
Photography came after. I had a camera, since as I mentioned I have always been a bit photo crazy, and put it to use purely for the sake of taking photos of my makeup work for my portfolio. I would do makeup for girls I knew and we would go out and do mini photo shoots so I had something in my portfolio other than just head shots. Plus, it was fun! Who didn't love getting dolled up and posing for the camera? I grew up doing that! Suddenly, the makeup enquiries turned into makeover photo shoot enquiries and later that lead to weddings etc! I hadn't anticipated it but I wouldn't have it any other way! Makeup & photography truly do compliment each other just perfectly!

Now the REALLY exciting part about this blog post is that a few weeks ago I was cruising Facebook in my spare time (ok, maybe I was procrastinating) and I stumbled across a status from the lovely Chelsea Dawn Photography. It read "What would you absolutely LOVE to have captured in 2013 & why? It could be a sweet simple moment or your dream photo shoot.. I want to hear it! I may just be in touch with you to bring this idea to life :)". So I commented about how I have always wanted to do one of those magical photo shoots with my horse, and not thinking anything more of it, kept cruising facebook. A little while later a message from Chelsea popped up! She told me how much she loved photo shoots involving horses and that she would love to talk more! We ended up messaging back and forth, chatting about hair, makeup and outfit choices, as well as location thoughts. Three weeks later I was knocking on her door to have my hair and make up done!





| Click the Photo for a link to a video of all my stills by Chelsea <3 |

And please check out her website
http://chelseadawn.ca/


No comments:

Post a Comment